City by the water, famous for its canals and bikes. I’m talking about Amsterdam. Whether you’re into museums, shopping or just food, the capital city of the Netherlands has something in store for all of us.
Where to start?
Planning a trip to Amsterdam might be a bit daunting. So many canals and little streets. They all look alike and it’s easy to get lost. I would suggest starting somewhere in the middle of all famous spots. When going to Amsterdam, I always start my trip at the Dam. It’s a big square, easy to recognize and located in the heart of the city.
What to do?
- Rijksmuseum: offers a collection of Dutch art
- Van Gogh museum: dedicated to the work of Van Gogh
- Anne Frank House: the former hiding place of Anne Frank and her family during World War II. Make sure to buy your tickets in advance.
- Madame Tussauds: the famous wax museum
- Bijenkorf: a luxury department store in the heart of the city
- 9 straatjes: literally translated as “9 streets”, a nice area with lots of boutiques and cute little vintage shops. You might be surprised what kind of little treasures you can find here.
- Kalverstraat: busy shopping street where you can find the most famous brands
- Vondelpark: the biggest park in the city where you will find a lot of open air activities during summer
- Jordaan: a charming neighborhood with art galleries, antique shops and bars/restaurants
- Begijnhof: the beguinage is well hidden and it’s a peaceful place to escape the crowd
Where to eat?
It’s a multicultural city, which means there’s something for everyone. Michelin star restaurants, cocktail bars, food trucks or just a local coffee shop. You’ll find them everywhere.
Where to stay?
We stayed at The Albus, a design boutique hotel in the city centre. Its location is very convenient and within walking distance of the most interesting sightseeing spots. The staff was very helpful and they provided us with an umbrella (it was pouring rain all day). Breakfast was included and we had plenty of choice.
Have you been to Amsterdam? What did you do and where did you stay?